Monday, February 16, 2015

#CollegeSoccerExposed - "The Second Coming" : Ian Harkes

Former United States Men's National Team Captain, John Harkes was one of the first American's to make it to the English Premier League. Harkes was the face of U.S. Soccer in the 90's and has been retired for just over 13 years. Now that his playing days are over, Harkes has been running his own radio show in the Washington D.C. area; and while this USMNT pioneer has been trying his craft on the radio, the next generation has been on the rise.

The son of this National Soccer Hall of Famer is current Wake Forest University midfielder Ian Harkes, seemingly the next in line. After being born in Derby, England, Ian and the Harkes family settled down in Fairfax, Virginia. He would go on to prove his worth in the academy system of possibly the most storied Major League Soccer franchise, D.C. United. As a budding star, Harkes carved up the high school soccer scene and was named a High School All-American by the NSCAA along with receiving an invitation to the coveted High School All-American game; ultimately attracting the attention of the Wake Forest Coaching Staff.

While at Wake Forest, Harkes has made an immediate impact for the Demon Deacons. In his freshman season, Harkes was the only player to start every game which culminated with a selection to the ACC All-Freshman Team.

Following his stellar rookie campaign, sophomore year took him one step further as Harkes was named to the ACC All-Second Team. #CollegeSoccerExposed sat down with Harkes to get his take on the good and the bad of college soccer, D.C. United Academy, the weight that comes with his name and what the future has in store for him.

CSE - Fundamental: What's the best part about college soccer?

Harkes: I would say one of the most rewarding aspects of college soccer is representing your college on the national stage against some of the best players older, younger, and your same age. There is a focus that comes with being a college student-athlete that makes you work hard and dedicate yourself to the sport as well.

CSE - Fundamental: What's the worst part about college soccer?

Harkes: I think one of the worst things about being a college soccer player is how short the season is and not being able to have a full year season.

CSE - Player Specific: How has D.C. United Academy helped you develop as a player?

Harkes: D.C. United Academy helped me prepare for the college level with the level of competition they provided and gave me a way to play a quality brand of soccer.

CSE - Player Specific: What are some aspects you personally deal with soccer wise that are directly related with being the son of John Harkes?

Harkes: I haven't really felt too much pressure from fans but there is an unspoken expectation that I feel and one that I actually put on myself to be the best that I can be because of my name. I don't feel pressure to be as good as my dad and I have felt no pressure from him or my parents to even play the game. However, I am inspired by him and love the game.


CSE - Player Specific: What does the future hold for you in regards to your soccer career?

Harkes: I hope my future does involve soccer because it is something I am passionate about and hopefully I will one day be able to play professionally. I know that this is a difficult dream to achieve but Wake Forest is hopefully helping me get one step closer.

There is no denying Harkes comes from one of the most soccer affluent families in the United States and he seems to be well on his way towards making a mark similar to his father's on U.S. Soccer. His arrival on the professional stage might just be imminent.

Stay locked in to see which future star from college soccer is up next on #CollegeSoccerExposed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

#CollegeSoccerExposed

#CollegeSoccerExposed