Wednesday, February 11, 2015

#CollegeSoccerExposed Sits Down With Akron Star Adam Najem To Get His Take On College Soccer

Former U20 U.S. National Team player Adam Najem might just be the next big star out of college soccer. After being named to the All-Freshman teams by both College Soccer News and Soccer America, Najem was named captain of the Akron Men's Soccer Team as a sophomore and continues to grow as the play-maker for the Zips. The Clifton, N.J. native currently sits 37th nationally by Topdrawersoccer.com and 2nd in the Mid-American Conference. #CollegeSoccerExposed caught up with Najem to get his thoughts on the best and the worst college soccer has to offer, his family reunion in Germany and what brought him to Akron. 

CSE - Fundamental: What's the best part about college soccer?

NajemThe best part of college soccer is probably the ability to continue my education while continuing to play soccer each and every day. Not many people have the chance to further their education in college and to be able to play while doing that is truly a blessing. Education has always meant a lot to my family and me, and we believe it’s such an important thing to have that college degree. In regards to college soccer specifically, going to a school like Akron, it is really amazing to see the support of the community and students on and off the field. The atmosphere of not only our stadium, but rival stadiums is truly something that I will always remember.

CSE - Fundamental: What's the worst part about college soccer?

Najem: The worst part of college soccer probably has to be the condensed scheduling. The two to three games a week really takes a toll on the bodies of the players and sometimes it can affect the style of play for teams. Players may be hampered by injuries throughout the season, and with the short rest periods they may not be able to get back into rhythm and it can affect them greatly.

CSE - Player Specific: You had the chance to go pro before college, what about college soccer and the deal you were offered made college soccer a more beneficial route?

Najem: Education has always been important to my family and me. The opportunity to play professionally is something I always dream of, but when the opportunity came during high school, my family and I just didn’t think it was the right time and situation for me. I’ve never regretted the decision I made because once we put that offer aside I just moved on and started to focus on my next stage of life, which is currently college. I’ve learned so many things about soccer while being here at Akron, and while it may not be a professional team, I truly feel like I have become a better player by being here, while still furthering my education.

CSE - Player Specific: You spent last summer in Germany, talk about the teams you played with as well as the overall environment there and how it compares to college soccer.

Najem: Last summer in Germany was such a great experience for me. Having my brother [David Najem] playing out there really opened up some great connections and I was able to train with Nurnberg’s U21 team and Borussia Monchengladbach’s U23 team. I've always said that the European soccer environment is something people have to experience for themselves to really get a great feel for. The training's, games, and overall atmosphere is always so professional, and they truly live for the sport out there. Credit to some of the coaches in college soccer that have really taken initiative to improve the game and become more and more tactically and technically sound. At Akron, our coaches really go into depth about the game and allow us to see the game differently, very similar to the way European teams do. So in regards to that, depending on schools and coaches, we are not too far behind the European teams. But what I really enjoyed the most and what I truly learned from over there was just the attitude the players brought into training every single day. Soccer is their livelihood over there, so while people in college may have other dreams and goals and may not take it as seriously, players over there treat it as their only way to live and you can see it in their mentality every training session.

Najem is currently in his second semester as a sophomore at Akron studying Marketing Management. He is in the process of planning his summer and a trip to Europe in a few months may be in his future.

Stay tuned to see which future star from college soccer is up next on #CollegeSoccerExposed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

#CollegeSoccerExposed

#CollegeSoccerExposed